Pageviews

Friday, September 7, 2012

Post Entry #1 9/7/12

         My name is Luke Elmo Anderson. I was born during a heavy snowstorm of 1996 and blogging is my life. I don't how I would live if blogging didn't exist and that ties quite nicely into my next subject of discussion.
         My personal experience with technology and media is very love-love. I'm not sure how I would be able to function without it. Media is how I learn about everything that is happening outside of school (and occasionally inside) and technology is how I access it. Life might be pointless without it (no really though).
          From the commercial clips that we watched regarding the Dove Self-Esteem Campaign and the GreenPeace video, I learned that whatever we do has an effect on others. Whether it's the beauty industry destroying what is already "beautiful", or just buying lotion destroys forests and wildlife areas. I think that all three videos were very influential and provocative, but the GreenPeace one was easily a bigger issue in my own mind. I was surprised with what Dove was showing us, but it  seemed somewhat over-exxagerated and unrealistic. I'm not a girl, so I might not have the right to say this but...... self-esteem < environment.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have your own blog? How long have you had it for? Great connection between media and technology. Tell me more how life would be pointless. I'm curious! I am also interested in hearing more about why you think the Dove commercials were unrealistic. I think you totally have the right to speak your mind on the issue. Multiple perspectives make the world better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i do! I have had it for a little over a year, but it's more of a picture type of ideal. Well i wouldn't actually be pointless, but the way that our world exists now would be pointless without that technology that we possess now.
    The Dove commercials seem a little unrealistic not in the sense that these things aren't true but that they are constantly happening. I have a 14 year old sister here at Washburn and I can guarantee that she has never resorted to anorexia or bulimia, because of the beauty industry. It just seemed far fetched

    ReplyDelete