Pageviews

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Post Entry #4 10/3/12


            Growing up in a electronically based culture, I’ve realized that there is always a good side and a bad side for the use of technology. Computers and iPads have provided a faster and more efficient way to research and learn then going to the library. On the other side is the distraction that these technologies bring with; Games, social media, and non-personal interaction. I have always been a supported of modern technology, but it needs to be used responsibly as well. People should be able to play Monopoly with their friends and family along with destroying monsters in World of Warcraft online. Texting a friend about their day and maintaining a deep personal conversation should be able to be used interchangibly as well. That is how I try to keep the balance between technology and ‘Old ways.’
            I am very aware of the progress technology is making (which include microchipping your child for tracking purposes), and although I have an open mind to it, the technology portrayed in Feed frightens me. After the whole situation with the old man at the club, they lose their feeds and Titus begins to miss is immensely. “But the braggest thing about the feed, the thing that made it really big, is that it knows everything you want and hope for, sometimes before you even know what those things are.” (48) This statement is what put me over the edge about this “feed” technology. I definitely am not able to agree with this “brag” idea. Just the thought of having a tiny computer inside of my head makes me cringe, but when they also add that it knows what you want and hope for it makes me fearful. If this is what our future is going to come to, I will be apart of the resistance. People may call me a “luddite” but that would be better then having my own mind hacked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment