By Luke Anderson
Mohammed Zeitoun, recently the winner of the Capri to Naples
race, has been unanimously named the best ocean swimmer in the world. Emerging from Syria as a champion swimmer, he
has moved on to worldly competitions, facing some of the best swimmers of all
time. Graciously, he has chosen to sit down with me for an interview in his
hometown Jableh, to talk about his success, family and how he found swimming.
Anderson: Mohammed,
you have been named the best ocean swimmer in the entire world. How has your
childhood attributed to the success of your swimming?
Mohammed: Growing
up, my father, Mahmoud, wanted nothing more for all of his sons to work on dry
land. I think that in some sense, the
being forbidden from doing something made me only want it more. I’m not sure
why, but I felt as if I belonged in the water.
Anderson: When was
the first time you got your “sea legs”?
Mohammed: I spent
most of my “tween” years apprenticing for an ironsmith and laying brick, but
after years of pleading, my father gave his consent for me to crew on the local
boats. I think I was about thirteen or fourteen at the time. After every
fishing excursion I would jump off the boat and race the crew to the beach.
Sometimes I would win! I guess that could be considered the start of my
training.
Anderson: You
mentioned earlier your father wanted all of his sons to work on land. Why is
that? And how did you finally overrule your father’s decision?
Mohammed: When my
father was a young man, he worked on a ship, and on one stormy trip, he was
cast out into the sea. The crew threw what they could to my father, for staying
afloat, but they were unable to turn around. My father drifted at sea for 2
days enduring sharks and storms until finally he washed on shore. He could not
believe he had survived. It was a
miracle but from then on he promised to toy with fate again, and forbid all of
his children, including me, to work on the sea. I eventually overruled my
father’s decision to work on a ship but when I told no one of my training to
swim. After becoming the greatest swimmer in Syria my father knew that Allah
had wanted me to be a swimmer. That is when my father accepted my decision.
Anderson: Does
your father come to watch your races?
Mohammed: He loves
to watch me swim. He has never missed a race since he knew of my passion. I can
always count on him to be in the crowd, even if I cant pick him out directly.
Anderson: You are
the oldest of the family, if you could tell your younger siblings one thing
about your beliefs, what would that be?
Mohammed: Nothing
is impossible if Allah is on your side. If your heart is set on something that is
how you know God is backing you up. Why would God defy what your heart desires
and why would your heart defy what God desires?
Anderson: Has your
religion impacted the way you live your life? If so, how?
Mohammed: We are
here because God has willed it to be. My family is filled with strong willed
Muslims, and the Zeitouns are an ambitious clan. I try to live my life, as
Allah would want. I pray 5 times a day, and I like to think that I am a
generous and kind person. One thing I know is that how you live on Earth will
define your afterlife. That is the most important conviction of my faith. Do
the right thing, whether you want to, or not.
Anderson: You are
an amazing swimmer no doubt, but what is the most successful thing you fell you
have ever achieved?
Mohammed: No doubt
one hundred percent would be breaking my dad in for younger siblings who want
nothing more to be a part of the sea. It may seem strange but Zeitouns and
water go together better than Syrian food and their presentation.
Anderson: Now
comes the most important question of all. If you could be one superhero, who
would you be?
Mohammed: Ha-ha, well it may come as a shock, given everything you
know about me, but I would choose Aquaman! Isn’t that surprising?
Anderson: Well
thank you for much for your time Mohammed and good luck to you on your next
quest!
Hey ... great article. When did you interview Mohammed Zeitoun? I thought he was dead like decades ago.
ReplyDelete